In KoL, banishing a monster removes it from the possible encounters in any zone for a certain number of Adventures. Almost all banishers that cost a turn will run out of their effect 1 turn earlier, because the adventure itself took a turn.
|Bowl a Curveball||Skill||Skill cooldown||1||cosmic bowling ball use||No||HC/SC Standard (2022)||Banish duration is your current cosmic bowling ball skill cooldown (a number of combats equal to 2 * number of bowling skills used that day + 3). The bowling ball returns as soon as the banish ends, so additional banishes can be used indefinitely once each previous one wears off.|
|Show Your Boring Familiar Pictures||Skill||100||1||100 familiar scrapbook scraps||No||HC/SC Standard (2021)||From equipping a familiar scrapbook. Can be used as long as 100 scraps are available.|
|Feel Hatred||Skill||50||1||-||No||HC/SC Standard (2021)||From Emotionally Chipped, up to 3 times per day|
|tryptophan dart||Combat Item||Rollover||1||Item Loss||Yes||HC/SC Unrestricted||Dropped by Elf Operative|
|Reflex Hammer||Equipment||30||1||-||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||From Lil' Doctor™ bag, up to 3 times per day|
|Use the Force, %playername!||Equipment||30||1||1 Charge||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||From Fourth of May Cosplay Saber, up to 5 times per day, shared with other abilities|
|human musk||Combat Item||Rollover||1?||Item Loss||No (first 3 times in a day)||HC/SC Unrestricted||Dropped by Red-Nosed Snapper tracking dudes|
|Throw Latte on Opponent||Equipment||30||1||-||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||From Latte lovers member's mug, up to 4 times per day.|
|Breathe Out||Skill||20||1||Item Loss,1 Spleen or 1 Fullness||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||Temporary skill goes away after single use; learn the skill by consuming hot jelly or toast with hot jelly from a Space Jellyfish|
|Daily Affirmation: Be a Mind Master||Combat Item||80?||1||Item Loss||Yes||HC/SC Unrestricted||From New-You Club Membership Form|
|KGB tranquilizer dart||Equipment||20||1||-||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||From Kremlin's Greatest Briefcase; can be used three times per day|
|Asdon Martin: Spring-Loaded Front Bumper||Workshed||30||1||50 fuel||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||From Asdon Martin workshed appliance; has a 30 turn cooldown|
|Snokebomb||Skill||30||1||50 MP||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||Limit 3 uses per day. Acquired from Training scroll: Snokebomb.|
|tennis ball||Combat Item||30||1||Item Loss||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||Acquired from Playing Fetch* with a Hallowiener Dog|
|Louder Than Bomb||Combat Item||20||1||Item Loss||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||Indirectly acquired from Summon Smithsness|
|crystal skull||Combat Item||20||1||Item Loss||Yes||HC/SC Unrestricted||Acquired from Summon Clip Art|
|divine champagne popper||Combat Item||5||1||Item Loss||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||Acquired from Summon Party Favor|
|Nanorhino||Familiar||Rollover||1||Effect Loss||Yes||HC/SC Unrestricted||From using Unleash Nanites with 40+ turns of Nanobrawny; requires a Muscle-based combat skill; Nanobrawny is lost upon use|
|Winifred's whistle||Combat Item||?||?||Item Loss||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||Drops in The Suburbs of Dis, accessed by using a devilish folio (from a Blavious Kloop)|
|Harold's bell||Combat Item||20||1||Item Loss||Yes||HC/SC Standard||Only one bell can be obtained per ascension|
|ice house||Combat Item||∞||1||Item Loss||Yes||HC/SC Unrestricted||Persists through ascension. Monster can be retrieved from the Museum.|
|Batter Up!||Skill||Rollover||1||5 Fury||Yes||HC/SC Standard||Class-specific: Only usable by Seal Clubbers; banished monster gives stats but not meat/item drops|
|Creepy Grin||Equipment||10||1||30 MP||No||SC Unrestricted||From V for Vivala mask, once per day; removing mask ends banishment|
|Give Your Opponent the Stinkeye||Equipment||10||1||-||No||SC Unrestricted||From stinky cheese eye, once per day; removing eye does NOT end banishment|
|Talk About Politics||Equipment||30||1||-||Yes||SC Unrestricted||From Pantsgiving, can only be used five times per day; kills the banished monster and gives stats, meat, and drops.|
|Show them your ring||Equipment||60||1||13 MP||No||SC Unrestricted||From mafia middle finger ring, once per day; removing ring does not end banishment|
|pulled indigo taffy||Combat Item||40||1||Item Loss||No||HC/SC Unrestricted||Underwater only; acquired from Summon Taffy|
|Banishing Shout||Skill||∞||3||50 MP||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Avatar of Boris runs|
|Howl of the Alpha||Skill||∞||3||9 zombies||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Zombie Slayer runs|
|classy monkey||Combat Item||20||1||Item Loss||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only works in Class Act runs|
|Staff of the Standalone Cheese||Equipment||Rollover||5||-||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Avatar of Jarlsberg runs; performed by jiggling the staff in combat up to 5 times/day|
|dirty stinkbomb||Combat Item||Rollover||1||Item Loss||No||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in KOLHS runs|
|deathchucks||Combat Item||30||1||Item Loss||No||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in KOLHS runs|
|Peel Out||Skill||Rollover||1||10 MP||No||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Avatar of Sneaky Pete runs; requires the Extra-Smelly Muffler motorcycle upgrade|
|Walk Away From Explosion||Skill||30||1||30 MP||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Avatar of Sneaky Pete runs; banished monster gives stats/etc.|
|smoke grenade||Combat Item||20||1||Item Loss||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Avatar of Sneaky Pete runs.|
|Thunder Clap||Skill||40||1||40 dB||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Heavy Rains runs.|
|Curse of Vacation||Skill||Rollover||1||30 MP||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Actually Ed the Undying runs.|
Usable up to 5 times per day.
|Beancannon||Skill||Rollover||5||15 MP, Item Loss||Yes||Path|| Challenge path-specific: Only available in Avatar of West of Loathing runs.|
Requires a can of beans equipped in the off-hand slot, which is destroyed.
|Baleful Howl||Skill||Rollover||1||30 HP||No||Path|| Challenge path-specific: Only available in Dark Gyffte runs.|
Usable up to 10 times per day.
|Ultra Smash||Skill||Rollover||1||2 PP||Yes||Path|| Challenge path-specific: Only available in Path of the Plumber runs.|
Requires three levels in Hammer attacks.
|B. L. A. R. T. Spray (wide)||Skill||Rollover||1?||100 water||No||Path|| Challenge path-specific: Only available in Wildfire runs.|
Available with B. L. A. R. T. equipped.
|System Sweep||Skill||Rollover||1||20 MP||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific: Only available in Grey You runs. |
Monster still drops items and gives stats, only works if it is the finishing blow.
|Punt||Skill||Rollover||1||30 MP||Yes||Path||Challenge path-specific, Class-specific: Only available in Avatar of Shadows Over Loathing runs when a Pig Skinner. |
Monster gives stats but not meat/item drops
¹ How many monsters can be banished at a time by this particular source. If you use this banisher to banish another monster (in any zone), the first monster in the banisher's "queue" will be un-banished. Most things can only banish one monster at a time.
² Does ending a combat with this item consume an Adventure?
|Source||Monster||Source Type||Duration||Costs Turn?||Avail.||Notes|
|cocktail napkin||clingy pirate||Combat Item||20||No||Both||Deals 20-40 hot damage to other monsters|
|Chatterboxing||chatty pirate||Adventure||20||No||Both||Requires a valuable trinket, which is consumed|
|Bowl of Scorpions||drunk pygmy||Item||Rollover||No||Both||Each Bowl of Scorpions will cause one free run-away. After the 11th occurrence, the pygmy is banished.|
|spooky music box mechanism||any in Spookyraven Manor||Combat Item||Rollover||Yes||Both||Queue size of 1.|
Deals 100-120 spooky damage to other monsters.
|ice hotel bell||any in The Ice Hotel||Combat Item||Rollover||No||Both||Queue size of 1|
Deals 250-300 cold damage to other monsters.
|Licorice Rope||any dude(?) in Gingerbread City||Skill||Rollover||Yes||Both||Queue size of 1.|
|plastic cup of beer||any frat boy in Kegger in the Woods||Combat Item||10||No||SC Unrestricted||Queue size of 1|
Advances the zone when used on any orquette in Kegger in the Woods
Deals 30-40 sleaze damage to other monsters
Is also a booze item.
- Banishing a monster prevents it from appearing in any zone that it would appear in.
- For example, banishing an A.M.C. gremlin will remove it from all four zones that it could appear in.
- Banishing all possible monsters from a zone results in all of the monsters returning, and will also prevent further other banishes from removing monsters from that zone until at least one of the initial banishes expire.
- "Unbanishing" a monster by using that same banisher on a different monster in a different zone will cause that monster to return as normal, and the other banishes in that zone will reapply and remove them.
- For example, using Snokebomb (30 turns) on the VYKEA viking (male) and human musk (until rollover) on the VYKEA viking (female) will cause the following things to occur:
- Both monsters will stay in the zone, and they will also ignore any further attempts to be banished.
- After 30 adventures, Snokebomb will expire and the Viking male will return to the zone, while the Viking female will remain banished.
- If human musk is used on a different monster, such as by using it on a crate, the Viking female will return to the zone because its banish has been lifted, and the Viking male will remain banished until Snokebomb's 30 adventure duration expires.
- Banishing all normal monsters in a zone with conditional monsters in it will instead yield a tumbleweed. You cannot banish the two normal zombies from The Defiled Alcove to force the initiative-dependent modern zmobies.
- Banishing a monster with multiple naturally occurring copies (e.g. there are 2 Astronomers in the Hole in the Sky), will also banish the second copy.
- However, if a monster receives additional copies such as from Transcendent Olfaction (+3 copies), the additional copies will not be banished. The "native" copy of the monster will be banished, but the 3 bonus copies are still in the zone; so instead of being reduced from 4 copies to 0, banishing an Olfacted monster will reduce it from 4 copies to 3.
- In this example, using an additional banish will not reduce copies from 3 to 2; rather it will remain at 3 because banishes remove native copies, hence why they apply against the two astronomers but not Olfacted monsters.
- This is also why banishing a monster with the same phylum that the Red-Nosed Snapper is tracking will fail to remove all copies of that monster.
- (See the Adventure Queue process for more details.)
- There are multiple zones that are banish-proof; either no sources of banishes will work at all, or only special mechanics will affect the appearance of monsters in the zone.
- Entire types of monsters in Dreadsylvania can be banished as a result of special non-combats; see Advanced Dreadsylvania Mechanics for details.
- For a long time, banishing was a game mechanic tied almost exclusively to Mr. Store items. Banishing has been slowly trickling into the base game through channels like challenge paths and Batter Up!
- Bundle of "fragrant" herbs was a once-a-crimbo banisher that no longer works.