| Data on this page needs confirmation.
Familiar number: 54
View in-game: view
Familiar number: 54
View in-game: view
She's a mistress of disguise
Watch her come and go.
Becomes other familiars by eating their stuff
Ability: When the chameleon eats a piece of familiar equipment, it gains that familiar's abilities, including Arena Strengths and Weaknesses, for around 45 turns. When it's not emulating another familiar, it does very little.
Throne/Bjorn: Cannot sit in the throne.
Hatchling: Comma Chameleon egg
Familiar-Specific Equipment: N/A
|Ultimate Cage Match||Scavenger Hunt||Obstacle Course||Hide and Seek|+30% Meat Drop 4-5 MP +4 Muscle statgain +15% Item Drop +4 Mysticality statgain 8-10 HP +2 Moxie statgain *Hover for details
|Cannot breathe underwater|
- When not emulating another familiar:
- <name> chases arounds tiny insects.
- <name> suns herself on a nearby rock.
- <name> blinks lazily at you.
Familiar Equipment Consumption Messages
- Each piece of non-generic familiar equipment has a unique message when the Chameleon consumes it, and another unique message when its effect wears off. For the specific consumption messages, please see the following pages:
- Generic familiar equipment cannot be consumed by the Chameleon. Attempting to feed the Chameleon generic familiar equipment yields:
- You try to put the <familiar equipment> on <name>. She looks at you quizzically, and squeaks, "I may be out of line, here, but I don't understand, exactly, which familiar it is that you, my owner, want me to emulate."
- It is unknown if a Comma Chameleon can use the serrated proboscis extension, and given the rarity and expensiveness of the equipment, it is likely to remain unknown.
Familiars with no specific Familiar Equipment
- When entered in an Ultimate Cage Match, a Scavenger Hunt, or an Obstacle Course:
- <name> sits there, blinking at you, occasionally licking one eyeball. It's clear she doesn't know what to do.
- Once fed, the Chameleon will stay in the other familiar's form for 40-50 combats or Arena fights. Non-combat adventures and other ways to spend adventures, such as meatsmithing, will not cause the Chameleon to revert to her normal form.
- After every second and fifth win (2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, ...) in The Cake-Shaped Arena, you will receive a random piece of familiar equipment subject to limitations (see below).
- <name> sneaks behind Susie's podium. She returns, and squeaks "You do NOT want to know what's behind that podium." She also drops an item from her mouth (or mouth-analogue.)
- The equipment the Chameleon can get is: familiar-specific equipment that is not specific to familiars directly sold from Mr. Store. (The Hippo Ballerina seems to qualify as an excluded familiar.)
- Example excluded items: wax lips (not familiar-specific), das boot (not familiar-specific), lead necklace (not familiar-specific), attention spanner (Mr. Store familiar), and funky brass fez (Mr. Store familiar).
- Example included items: miniature carton of clove cigarettes (not normally given out by Susie), pet rock "Snooty" disguise (indirect Mr. Store item), diamond-studded fronts (for indirect Mr. Store familiar), and rattlesnake enrager (for Raffle House prize familiar).
- While the Chameleon is imitating another familiar, you can feed her a different piece of equipment to overwrite the previous transformation.
- While the Chameleon is imitating another familiar, she gains five pounds, even if the equipment normally grants a different benefit. For example, a shock collar (which grants no weight boost to a Stab Bat) grants +5 weight, but doesn't decrease its rate of attacking you. Likewise, a cracker, which normally grants an Exotic Parrot +15 weight, only grants the Chameleon +5 weight. This boost vanishes when the duration runs out.
- Familiar abilities which rely on having a specific piece of equipment equipped will not work on a Chameleon. Feeding your Chameleon a metallic foil radar dish will provide messages and effects like an unequipped Crimbo P. R. E. S. S. I. E.; that is, it will give stats like a volleyball. Feeding her any jub-jub bird will provide messages and effects like an unequipped Frumious Bandersnatch; the stat gains will not be tuned to any one stat, but will be randomly distributed.
- Chameleons can breathe underwater when emulating a water-breathing familiar. However, since an unequipped Dancing Frog cannot breathe underwater, a Chameleon imitating a Frog cannot breathe underwater, even if you feed her an amphibious tophat.
- Unequipping an equipped piece of equipment from the Chameleon ends any current transformation with the message, "<familiar name> turns back into a slimy lizard."
- In the old Sorceress Lair, the Chameleon could be used to battle the Sorceress familiars, though she could not be used in place of the Star Starfish when using Richard's Star Key.
- A Chameleon can not be used in place of an elemental Gravy Fairy to enter The Spooky Gravy Burrow.
- As a Stocking Mimic, a Chameleon will pull out a bag of many confections once per day and equip it, even though a Chameleon cannot normally equip familiar equipment. While imitating a Mimic, the Chameleon's weight is computed based on the amount of candy she has consumed, up to 100 pounds. Feeding the Chameleon candy from your inventory or winning fights with the bag equipped will increase the candy counter; winning fights with or without the bag will increase her experience total as usual.
- As a Mini-Hipster, she will equip an ironic moustache once per day, but will not cause special Hipster combats.
- Likewise, as an Artistic Goth Kid, she will not cause special Crayon monster combats.
- As a Robot Reindeer, she can use the various robot reindeer protocols, if she is the active familiar when they are used.
- As a Homemade Robot, she will have her weight computed based on the number of piles of useless robot parts added to the player's non-chameleon robot.
- If you don't have a Mini-Adventurer, or have not chosen a class for it, a Chameleon mimicking one will not choose a class and not perform any actions. If you have chosen a class for a real Mini-Adventurer, a Comma Adventurer will be the same class and perform the same actions.
- As a Crimbo Shrub, she will not produce a box of old Crimbo decorations when selected. If the player has a real Crimbo Shrub, the Chameleon will use the same decorations it uses. Otherwise, the Chameleon will not have access to any abilities other than stat gain.
- As a Puck Man or Ms. Puck Man, she can not use a power pill to instantly devour an enemy. but still drops items normally, including a kill screen.
- As a Machine Elf, she does not reveal The Deep Machine Tunnels, but will give the free daily fights there. She does not allow access to the consumable duplication option in Shining Mauve Backwards In Time.
- As an Intergnat, she does not unlock summoning of the Intergnat-specific demon in the Summoning Chamber, although she does reveal the name parts in combat.
- The name of this item is a reference to the Culture Club song, "Karma Chameleon". "Watch her come and go" refers to a lyric in the original song ("You come and go, you come and go"). "Red, gold, and green" (her normal colors, mentioned in a few expiration messages, like the smile-sharpening stone and iced-out bling) is also a lyric from the song.
- The name of this item also refers to how it is displayed when you have the familiar equipped and fed. A Comma Chameleon emulating a Leprechaun is displayed as "(Name) the Leprechaun, Chameleon" which can be read as "(Name) the Leprechaun comma Chameleon."