History of Loathing (2007)
These pages shall contain the history of the Kingdom of Loathing.
For an annotated list of changes to the game, see Changes.
|Table of contents|
|2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020|
January 01, 2007
- January's IotM is now in testing on dev, and will probably roll into Mr. Store tomorrow or really late tonight. Sorry about the lateness.
January 02, 2007
- January's IotM is now available in Mr. Store. Sorry again about the tardiness.
Also, the real-life Tiny Plastics are now available in the Store of Loathing.
January 03, 2007
- A mysterious trader from Distant Lands has wandered into Market Square...
In unrelated news, we totally thought today was Tuesday.
January 09, 2007
- Moxie class characters now get the option to try to steal an item from a monster when they get the jump. After only four short years, our thieves and bandits are finally actually bandits and thieves. Irrespectively.
January 15, 2007
- Fixed a glitch with the tropical paperweight and deck of cards.
- There is now an option in the Account Menu which will put HP restoring items in the dropdown on the skills page and the quick skills dialog, for those of you who are inclined to want them there.
January 17, 2007
- It's still Tuesday in Hawaii, right? There's a new item for sale at the Brotherhood of the Smackdown store.
January 24, 2007
- Check your guild for some new faces. And some new methods of opening up some old zones.
- We're doing some maintenance on the database servers tonight, so rollover will probably take an extra hour or so.
- Sending private messages using the right click menu should now prevent chat from timing out.
- There is now an option in the Account Menu (under Inventory Options) to hide all sections in your inventory by default.
January 30, 2007
- The avatar you get when wearing a costume is now gender-specific. Go go gadget equal rights!
Also, a new hilarious item has been added to the Grimoire.
January 31, 2007
- Since I'm not gonna be around during rollover tonight, February's Item-of-the-Month is in a little early. I'll leave January's item in for another day or so.
February 03, 2007
- Candy Hearts can now be sent (as box-of-sunshine-style gift packages) to players in Ronin and Hardcore.
February 06, 2007
- All of the tracking bugs with Doppelshifters and Comma Chameleons should be fixed now.
- The game will now nudge you towards quests you're eligible for but haven't started yet. Accessibility +1!
Also, Riff's awesome Feelies Packs are now available in the Store of Loathing.
February 07, 2007
- Hippy Stones now automatically repair themselves once their owners have been inactive for two weeks.
February 11, 2007
- Candygrams are now usable in quantity.
- The chat notification one receives upon reception of a candy heart has received a link which will
receivetake you to your inbox, so you can look at it.
February 13, 2007
- Entangling Noodles have been changed -- they now bind the monster up for a number of rounds, preventing it from attacking you.
Also, Disco Bandits can now chain their dance/poke/stab skills together for various neat effects in combat.
February 17, 2007
- Thrust Smack and Lunging Thrust Smack will now cause monsters to break free from Entangling Noodles.
February 18, 2007
- You can now choose different items to use on other people directly from the "Use Items On Other People" page (like, the one you get when you send candy hearts, throw bricks, etc.)
- You can now use the right click menu to send a candy heart (color chosen randomly, due to space concerns.) Go to the Account Menu to enable this option. Additionally, you can no longer use items on other players while you are banned.
February 19, 2007
- Titanium assault umbrellas now give slight resistance to all elements, instead of just spooky and sleaze.
February 20, 2007
- The Palindome has been given a minor facelift, and the monsters in it have been significantly raised in power.
February 24, 2007
- Reports generated by clan warfare attacks no longer clutter up the clan message board, but, instead, have been moved to a separate section, accessible from the clan war room page.
February 27, 2007
- Anti-anti-antidotes are now usable in combat. This change foreshadows absolutely nothing.
- The Trader from Distant Lands is back, bearing strange treats from the jungle.
February 28, 2007
March 06, 2007
- A handful of monsters have been given new special attacks and/or random things that happen during combat. There will be more of these added over the next few days.
March 12, 2007
- All of the grammatical weirdness associated with using combat items against plural enemies should now be fixed. We appreciates your bug reports if we missed any.
March 13, 2007
March 14, 2007
- Moxie classes can now choose Pickpocket as an autoattack option in the Account Menu. Kleptomaniacs rejoice!
March 15, 2007
- As you may have noticed, there was no significant update this past Tuesday. We are, however, continuing to add miscellaneous combat weirdnesses in various places.
- The bug wherein Pickpocket as an autoattack was failing when you were out of MP has been fixed.
March 17, 2007
- Happy St. Sneaky Pete's Day! Sorry it's late -- to make it up to the people who missed it last night after rollover, the entire day of tomorrow will also be St. Sneaky Pete's Day.
- A PvP mailbox has been added to the messages screen. All PvP related messages will now be unceremoniously dumped therein.
March 18, 2007
- You can now search for players who are specifically NOT in hardcore using the search players box.
March 20, 2007
- The clan message board has been replaced with a rudimentary clan forum system, accessible from the same link that the old clan board was. Go forth, and post! More features will be added as time and gumption permits.
March 28, 2007
- There are some new monsters in the Hole in the Sky on alternating ascensions. Also, it's still Tuesday in... my imagination.
- Barrrnacles now suck twice as hard as they used to.
March 29, 2007
- If you use the super-secret undocumented stealth login feature, your logout messages will also be suppressed when you use the "log out" link.
March 30, 2007
- It is now no longer possible to waste MP by casting Cannelloni Cocoon more than once.
- You can now quickly select people on your contact list when using items on other players (e.g.: bricks, candy hearts, toilet paper.)
March 31, 2007
- April's Item-of-the-Day... er... Month is in Mr. Store.
Also, click here to check out our exclusive sneak preview of NS13 content. It's exciting!
April 03, 2007
April 10, 2007
- A couple of new skins and a handful of new smithing recipes have been added. Still yet more to come.
- Plural monsters should no longer screw up the grammar on skill usage or plastic pumpkin buckets.
April 17, 2007
- If you have the Torso skill, you can now buy a shirt kit from the Meatsmith in Seaside Town. If you have the Armorcraftiness skill, you can use it to make some shirts out of various skins.
Next Tuesday's update might not involve skins, but we're not making any promises.
April 24, 2007
- A few new items have gone into the hippy camp, and some changes have been made to the Jewelrycrafting skill. See this forum post for complete details. Well, don't just see it. Read it.
April 29, 2007
- The "you didn't properly log out" thing should happen a lot less often now.
April 30, 2007
- May's Item of the Month is now available in Mr. Store.
Due to the alignment of the planets, and a corresponding reflection of the Northern Lights through some swamp gas, there probably won't be a content update tomorrow. Rest assured, however, that we're hard at work on big exciting things.
May 08, 2007
- Darn that swamp gas! We're still too busy working on big projects to do much of anything for a Tuesday update.
May 15, 2007
- The Traveling Trader is back again. He was apparently investigating the source of all of this swamp gas.
May 29, 2007
- There's a new (rarish, unless you're a Pastamancer, in which case it's somewhat less rarish at first and then somewhat rarisher later) adventure in the Haunted Library. Content preview: It involves books.
- Turtleslinger is now one-handed.
May 31, 2007
- So, June's Item-of-the-Month is gonna be kind of huge. Think Astral Badger, but with more content.
Skully and Riff came up with all of the writing and stuff with plenty of time to spare, but there's a distinct possibility that HotStuff and I are gonna need an extra day or two to make sure everything is working properly and isn't going to break the game.
Thank you for your potential patience.
June 01, 2007
- June's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store. Sorry it's late, but we promise it's worth the wait. And the weight, in gold.
June 04, 2007
- The image for the bellhop bell is now the right kind of bell. Sorry about that.
- The bug whereby the not-a-pipe gave you Muscle three times in a row instead of some of each stat has been fixed.
June 05, 2007
- So, this Tuesday's update is actually going to be a Wednesday update -- we've put another (small, simple) recurring holiday into the rotation, and it'll trigger tomorrow night at rollover.
June 06, 2007
- The ram-battering staff and the icy-hot katana are now smithing recipes, rather than meat paste recipes.
- The Knight in White Satin is no longer holding his sword by the blade. He feels much better now.
- One of the items that was supposed to be dropping in the Rogue Windmill wasn't actually dropping. Now it is. Thanks, Ricket!
June 07, 2007
- The "Red Neck" intrinsic of the mesh cap has been changed a bit. Expect various other minor equipment tweaks over the next day or two.
- You can now suppress the function of someone else's sword behind inappropriate prepositions in chat by using a WANG on them.
June 11, 2007
- We are experiencing a problem with clan ranks right now. In order to prevent further chaos and damage, we've had to take away access to all clan pages. Functionality should be restored realsoonnow.
- The screwiness with clan ranks has been fixed, and broken ranks have been restored from yesterday's backups. Please see this forum post to see what all happened, and how to deal with any inconsistencies.
June 12, 2007
- Happy Tuesday! There are a couple of new items at the shore (and one old item reintroduced) and a couple of shirts have been added in a couple of other places.
June 17, 2007
- Some strange weather has developed over parts of the Kingdom. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.
June 19, 2007
- The Kingdom of Loathing Con IV is coming! We've finally confirmed all of the details, including our awesome Saturday Night party, with a special mystery guest! Who? You can read all about it in this forum post. Registration packs will go on sale August 1st.
June 21, 2007
- Opera masks should no longer cause you to cast zero turns of an Accordion Thief buff.
June 24, 2007
- In order to facilitate the rollout of NS-13 tonight, we will be having a long rollover. We're not entirely sure how long it will take, but it will take as long as it needs to, and not a second more. I guarantee it.
- Oh man, it's NS13! The Sorceress, having used her weather magic to infiltrate the Grim Grimacite Site, has found an artifact that has increased her power by approximately two levels! In unrelated news, the Council of Loathing now has some more crap they want you to take care of.
- NS13 was implemented.
June 25, 2007
- A text version of a very graphically intensive item central to the level 11 quest has been added, for those who are visually impaired, or just couldn't make any sense of it due to the small handwriting.
- The issues with Teleportitis sending you to zones you shouldn't be able to get to yet have been fixed. Mostly. I think.
June 27, 2007
- Digital keys and Richard's star keys are now cookable into pies the way the Legend keys are. Thanks to Dr_Van_van_Mojo for suggesting this.
- The bug where you couldn't perm a skill going into a Casual run has been fixed.
June 29, 2007
- We're all kinda tired, and so July's Item-of-the-Month will probably be 2-3 days late.
June 30, 2007
- The Hippy Camp and Orcish Frat Houses now properly display the (1) after completion of the level 12 quest.
- Fixed a bug where a lower-quality accordion was trumping a higher-quality one when buffs were being cast.
July 01, 2007
- The bug that caused palm fronds to be consumed when used one at a time has been fixed.
July 02, 2007
July 04, 2007
- Fixed the bug where your guild leader would not recognize that you had completed your epic weapon. If this is still happening to you, log out and back in and try again.
July 07, 2007
- Black bottle rockets weren't working the way they were supposed to. Now they are.
July 09, 2007
July 10, 2007
- Fixed a bug where some people were not properly getting credit for using a certain item to get a certain trophy. Specific!
- The Seal Clubber self-buff Snarl of the Timberwolf now lasts for 10 turns per cast instead of 5.
- A bunch of little things got fixed/updated today. See this post for details.
July 16, 2007
- Mojo filters are now multi-usable.
- Fixed a bug whereby Farmer McMillicancuddy would change allegiance (offering his services to not the highest, but the most recent bidder.)
- Familiars equipped with the Plastic Pumpkin Bucket should no longer pick physical attacks against physically-resistant monsters that aren't elementally aligned. This update is complicated.
- The "Last Adventure" container document link now goes to the right place for Fernswarthy's Basement.
July 18, 2007
You should now receive the proper anniversary gifts for anniversaries after your first. If you got more than one kind of anniversary gift due to this bug, contact Xenophobe (#46205) and he will make with the fixing.
- The hedge maze puzzle now indicates in its alt text which tiles are the exit and entrance tiles.
- The option that separated ranged and melee weapons will now separate ranged, melee, and mysticality weapons into their own containers on the inventory page.
- Food, booze, and spleen items in your inventory will now be strikethrough'd and grayed if you do not meet the level requirements for consumption.
- There is now a link to the terrarium on the character pane when you do not have a familiar out. (*huff, puff*)
July 20, 2007
- Anniversary gifts should be fixed now (once and for all.) In order to fix everyone at once, we've had to nuke all the anniversary gifts and gift boxes in the Kingdom from orbit. (It was the only way to be sure.) Fret not, however -- when you log in, you will receive a new gift box with all the gifts which you may have had before, like nothing had ever happened.
- The feedback from shrugging a buff (via right click on the character pane) should now load inline on whatever page you're on (like quick skills) if you are using a recent version of IE or Firefox (parenthetical statement!)
July 26, 2007
- Chefstaves can no longer be equipped in your off-hand, you dirty exploiters.
July 27, 2007
- Using an elf farm raffle ticket in a Bad Moon ascension will no longer mark you ineligible for a subsequent Bad Moon ascension.
July 28, 2007
July 29, 2007
- You can no longer make Wine Cellar monsters drop all the possible bottles of dusty wine via unscrupulous URL crafting.
- The war frat streaker now properly counts as a frat boy casualty.
July 30, 2007
- "Adventure again" links now function properly again for zones which contain subzones, such as the wine cellar.
August 01, 2007
- You can now properly receive a buff from the Mysterious Island Arena after winning the war for the frat boys.
- Pre-NS13 familiar percentage runs have been archived ala ascension runs, and any such run started before NS13 will no longer appear on current leaderboards (after rollover.)
August 02, 2007
- We're still working out some kinks and balance issues in August's Item-of-the-Month. It'll probably go into Mr. Store tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.
- All valentines in the Kingdom (with the exception of display case ones) have been nuked due to a bug which allowed people to purchase infinitely many of them at no cost.
August 03, 2007
- August's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
August 07, 2007
- Turtle Tamer and Sauceror buffs will now properly be greyed out in Firefox if you do not have a totem or saucepan, respectively.
- Bad Moon leaderboards are now up.
August 09, 2007
August 13, 2007
- Casual ascensions are now designated with beanbag chairs in the ascension history. (Thanks, Oxbarn!)
- Casual ascensions are no longer counted on the "Most Normal Ascensions" leaderboard.
- The drunkenness adventure at the Obligatory Pirate's Cove (In Disguise) is now significantly less RNG-swingy. A better, more content-rich approach to the whole deal is in the works.
- You are now significantly less likely to get Teleportitis in the Enormous Greater-Than Sign before you get the plus sign.
- The Spanish Fly mini-quest should now be doable even after the level 12 quest is completed.
- Bad Moon leaderboards should start updating properly today.
August 20, 2007
- There's now an adventure in the Arid, Extra-Dry Desert (Unhydrated) that will give you a hippy outfit if you're stuck in the level 12 quest with no uniform.
- A few new low-end food and booze items now drop in the Haunted Kitchen.
August 31, 2007
- September's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
- The quality of the dusty bottles of wine from Spookyraven's Wine Cellar has been reduced significantly. On the bright side, everything else got much better in comparison!
September 03, 2007
- A whole bunch of typos and (gasp!) grammatical mistakes were fixed.
- A bug that made the Brimstone Beret's enchantments not work properly was fixed.
- A bug causing Saucespheres to not deal damage to attacking foes has been fixed. This fix was executed and announced professionally and with no snarky comments whatsoever.
September 05, 2007
- A whole slew of minor bugfixes today. See this post for specifics.
September 17, 2007
- By popular demand, the Item-of-the-Month has been beefed up a bit. See this forum post for details.
September 18, 2007
- The Brimstone items are now animated. Go HotStuff!
September 19, 2007
- Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day! The residents of the Obligatory Pirate's Cove have some special goodies today. They'll have 'em tomorrow, too, since I forgot to roll this out until so late. It wasn't my fault, though -- it was the rum's fault.
- With very little fanfare, Hagnk's Ancestral Mini-Storage has finally been fully repaired.
September 25, 2007
- There's now a plaque in the Cannon Museum commemorating the reconstruction of Hagnk's. If you contributed bricks, they also now show up in the accomplishments section of your Quest Log.
September 28, 2007
- The "zooming out of reach" message from the navel ring should stop displaying at inappropriate times.
September 29, 2007
- There was a little bit of a database glitch today, and we had to restore a table from yesterday's backup.
The table contains, for the most part, information about settings on your account, chat colors, etc, so if you log on and something that you changed since yesterday has changed itself back, then this is why.
The root cause of the problem was identified and fixed, so this shouldn't ever happen again. If anything extra-weird is going on with your account, please submit a bug report.
September 30, 2007
- September's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store. Also, October is now known as September.
October 02, 2007
- A bunch of minor bugfixes and updates happened today. Check out this forum post for details.
October 05, 2007
- You can now swap the location on the character pane of your effects and familiar using a new option in the Account Menu.
October 08, 2007
- Happy Belated Third Anniversary of Mr. Store! Two new familiars are available, to replace the Nervous Tick and the Jitterbug.
Also today, Trick-or-Treating, with new content for the new outfits that came with NS13.
October 09, 2007
- The new, improved, and oh-so-secure Forums of Loathing are back in business.
Due to a security breach in the old forums (the main reason for this upgrade) you should change your forum password, and your KoL password if it's the same, as soon as possible.
October 10, 2007
- For those of you with access to The Gnomish Gnomads' Camp, there's a groovy (and not at all annoying) new quest to do.
October 15, 2007
- The Gluttonous Green Ghost has been beefed up a little bit -- he used to have fullness threshold below which he wouldn't act like a starfish, and that threshold has been removed. Er, changed to 1.
- The first stage of completion of the Deep Fat Friars quest now has a reward. Head out to the Copse for details. If you don't know the way, you can ask the copse for directions.
October 23, 2007
- The "Frosty the Hitman" effect has been changed to be more in line with its description.
October 25, 2007
- The jewel-eyed wizard hat now works its buff-duration-increasing magic from your inventory, and no longer needs to be equipped for that purpose.
- Viewing the players in a clan now gives you a readout of which of those players are online, and/or in chat.
- Happy Festival of Jarlsberg, everybody!
October 27, 2007
- Two new shirt designs, some buttons, and the long-awaited KoL Fan Art Calendar are now available in the Store of Loathing.
October 28, 2007
- If you have autoattack on, it will no longer trigger during the Shadow fight.
October 30, 2007
- The Sauceror recipes for transmuting elemental wads have been altered in secret, mysterious ways.
October 31, 2007
November 27, 2007
- Today is El Dia de Los Muertos Borrachos! Watch out!
November 28, 2007
- Fixed some display weirdness in the fight code that would happen if you did multiple kinds of elemental damage but no physical damage. I'm not sure it ever actually came up, but it's still fixed.
November 30, 2007
- Uncle Crimbo stopped by everybody's campsite in the dead of night and dropped off a little calendar full of goodies. Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy goodies.
In other, more cybermatical news, December's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
December 03, 2007
- The pirates on the Mysterious Island of Mystery are evidently hard up for crew, and have begun recruiting from the population at large. Head on over and see what's happening!
- The ultrarare Talisman of Bakula is now 3 times as powerful as it used to be, but can only be used once per combat.
December 04, 2007
- A glitch that was preventing people from getting the Open Seas adventure multiple times has been fixed. Sorry 'bout that.
- Fixed an issue that allowed you to buy multiple dictionaries, and a typo that was causing one of the choice adventure outcomes on the F'c'le to give you the wrong stat.
- Fixed a bug that caused the grumpy old man charrrm bracelet to be undisassemblable. Also a bug that caused the word "undisassemblable" to not actually be a word.
December 05, 2007
- I had forgotten to change one of the drops on the old pirate's cove, so the whole charrrm bracelet system didn't make a whole lot of sense. Fixed now.
December 07, 2007
- A new moon has appeared in the sky. It's a Crimbo miracle!
- Jiggling a chefstaff no longer causes your familiar to eschew action for that round. Gezundheit.
December 10, 2007
- Some amateur astronomers with telescopes in their campsites have determined that the new object in the sky is no moon -- it's a space station!
- Made some changes to the way to-hit and damage work for Thrust-Smack and Lunging Thrust-Smack in concert with Eye of the Stoat. This should make it a little easier for high level Seal Clubbers to deal with scaling monsters, and help speed up combats a little for casual play.
- Items that do prismatic elemental damage (like the yohohoyo) should now properly Pulverize into elemental stuff.
December 12, 2007
- Turns out the amateur astronomers were wrong - it wasn't a moon or a space station, it was a spaceship, and it crash-landed somewhere in the big mountains.
In completely unrelated news, Crimbo Town has re-emerged from the mists to bring joy and delight to adventurers everywhere.
- Items in restaurants such as Chez Snootée and the Gnomish Micromicrobrewery now have item descriptions, which can be read by clicking on the picture of the item.
December 16, 2007
- Made an optimization change to the way your combat items are displayed during a fight, which ought to reduce lag a bit on inventory-related scripts. Please report any bugs you encounter.
December 22, 2007
- A "view clan for selected player" function has been added to the right click menu. Enable this option in your Account Menu.
December 24, 2007
- Merry Crimbo!
The Crimbo Town Toy Factory is back to normal, and Uncle Crimbo had his elves whip up some good old-fashioned toys for everybody.
Check the miscellaneous section of your inventory.
December 31, 2007
- Happy New Year!
- Since most of the staff was either sick or traveling (or both) during the holidays, January's Item-of-the-Month will be at least a couple of days late. Sorry.
|History of Loathing||2003||2004||2005||2006||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018||2019||2020|