History of Loathing (2012)
These pages shall contain the history of the Kingdom of Loathing.
For an annotated list of changes to the game, see Changes.
|Table of contents|
|2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021|
January 02, 2012
- Crimbo Town and the Advent calendar will go away at rollover on the night of January 3. If you've got unfinished business there, you best finish it by then.
- Fixed a bug that was causing the Groose to not properly give bonus stats after combat. Sorry 'bout that...
January 03, 2012
January 12, 2012
- Trivial: You can now empty your closet in one click from the bottom of the closet interface. Also, equipped familiar equipment should no longer incorrectly go to the closet after ascending.
January 18, 2012
- The Kingdom of Loathing comic book you've all been waiting for is now available in the Store of Loathing!
Also, Valentines and new (old) quasi-mini-poster art packs.
January 19, 2012
- The "reset button" we've been talking about for years has finally been implemented. If you're at least 11 days into an ascension run, you now have the ability to pop back into Valhalla and start over.
January 25, 2012
- Passive skills now tell you in their pop-up descriptions what they do.
- Some changes have been made to Skin of the Leatherback and some of the Maximum HP and MP passive skills.
January 31, 2012
February 02, 2012
- We finally got sick of the stupid blackbird screwing everything up all the time. It no longer flies away.
February 14, 2012
- The new Seasonal Challenge Path is out! Become an Avatar of Boris, and hew your foes asunder with your trusty axe, Trusty.
February 15, 2012
- The Bonerdagon and the Naughty Sorceress no longer destroy combat items when they block them. They just block them when they block them.
February 17, 2012
February 18, 2012
February 27, 2012
- If you're in Arizona, you should go see KoL's own Hoboverlord, John Hodgman, at the Rialto Theatre in Tucson, on Saturday, March 3. Tell Mr. Hodgman "An Adventurer Is Me" to receive a hand-defaced dollar coin -- your very own post-inflation hobo nickel!
February 29, 2012
- Pop-up familiar descriptions now have blue text describing the familiar's function. Conjunction Junction.
- March's Item-of-the-Month, the Happy Medium, is now available in Mr. Store.
March 01, 2012
- Because we got sick of the blackbird screwing everything up all the time, intrinsic effects on items are no longer a thing.
- Mosquitoes, like your mom, now bite a little harder and a little more often.
- Verily and forsooth, the various bits of Clancy's quest now have Quest Log entries.
- When you use a new familiar hatchling, it'll now give you a button that lets you take that familiar with you immediately.
March 15, 2012
- Surprise! The Hidden Temple has been revamped, and is now a real zone, with monsters and everything.
March 24, 2012
- Character and chat panes now remember between sessions that you resized them. All things are possible with the magic of FRAMES.
March 27, 2012
- The chat has been improved significantly. It's got tabs and everything now!
March 28, 2012
- Clan VIP Crimbo trees now reset to a 7-day wait when you ascend.
March 29, 2012
- Wee had knot maid a knew meatsmithing recipe inn a wile sew wee maid a gnu won. Wee hope yew fined it and like it.
March 31, 2012
- We made some changes to the adventure script using some PHP code we found carved into an ancient basalt monolith Riff unearthed while digging a basement underneath the office in his spare time. Adventuring should be slightly faster now, and totally safe.
Also April's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
April 05, 2012
- If you're in Ronin or HC and you beat a Hobopolis boss, any items he would've dropped for you will now go into a package for later.
April 10, 2012
- After you finish the Typical Tavern Quest, you can now do odd jobs for Bart Ender in exchange for Meat. Y'know, like cutting the heads off of statues with your hat. Stuff like that.
April 11, 2012
- The Knights and Maidens encounter in the Haunted Gallery is now ignorable (and stays away for a while when you ignore it.)
April 13, 2012
- You can now remove yourself from a clan's whitelist. Not that you would.
April 16, 2012
- The steam lines on the hot tub in clan VIP lounges is now an indication of how many more times you can use it today.
April 26, 2012
- Items that give you skills should now have a link to the skill in their description. Let me know if I missed any.
April 30, 2012
- Fixed a dumb (old) bug that made all hatrack/scarecrow attacks deal prismatic damage. I hate rainbows.
- Fighting a rat out of the faucet now gives you a one-click link to fight another one.
- CDMoyer finally snapped, and used his wizard powers for evil -- PvP has been revamped significantly.
Also, May's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store.
May 01, 2012
- Hermit Permits are no longer consumed, so you only need one. The Hermit Script now increases his daily clover allotment by 1.
- The Hermit's inventory is now visible even if you don't have passes or trinkets. Also rims have been moved to the General Store.
- In a brief but decisive battle, the Market Demon has been ousted by General Store.
May 02, 2012
- It is now possible to PvP while drunk. Because, why not?
May 14, 2012
- The next seasonal challenge path, Bugbear Invasion, is now available at your friendly neighborhood reincarnation bureau.
May 15, 2012
- Hey everybody! It's a Kickstarter for Word Realms. With a sweet video that you should go watch.
May 16, 2012
- Bouquets and barbed-wire and picket fences are no longer campsite items. #1 and #3 have been repurposed, #2 has been reporpoised.
May 21, 2012
- Iron Palm Technique is now a togglable intrinsic instead of a whadyacallit. Self-buff.
- Tradition is important to us here at Asymmetric. Flavour of Magic has been given the old "Iron Palm Technique" treatment.
- Starting tonight, PvP fights will carry over from one day to the next, up to a rollover limit of
- Did I say 50? I meant 100.
May 22, 2012
- Using reodorant now dispels the effect of deodorant, and vice versa. Likewise with Musk of the Moose and Smooth Movements.
May 23, 2012
- Asymmetric has a new company site! It's minimalist, and it's available online at asymmetric.net!
May 31, 2012
- June's Item-of-the-Month is now available in Mr. Store. It's totally cray-cray.
- Jick is doing an AMA on reddit! Go ask him anything.
June 06, 2012
- Huge pumpkins can now be smashed into three regular pumpkins. Which is to say you can now cut them like they want me to.
June 08, 2012
- The way the goth kid hands out PvP fights has changed. It now starts out way faster and slows down over time.
June 09, 2012
- We've posted a new update to the Word Realms Kickstarter, featuring a pretty sweet gameplay video!
June 12, 2012
- Boss! The plains! The plains! (They are on fire.)
June 13, 2012
- As the fires in the plains continue to spread, the FDKOL guys have decided to try a more egalitarian approach to handing out commendations.
The fires, meanwhile, have begun to adapt to the firefighters' tactics -- almost as though they are alive... The fires, I mean. The firefighters are obviously alive.
June 14, 2012
- The FDKOL continues its firefighting efforts, and has set up a requisitions tent in the plains. So... go requisite something.
June 16, 2012
- The world event is no longer preventing access to Suburban Dis. You can also now [use] FDKOL commendations to get to the tent.
- The fires is in the plains grow in intensity, and they seem to have developed an epicenter. Fires have an epicenter, right?
Susie has taken this opportunity to get out of Dodge, and has moved her Arena (carrying it on her back) to the Right Side of the Tracks.
June 19, 2012
- The fires continue to evolve. Bats made of fire. Warm bats. Gracias.
There are a couple of new items available in the FDKOL tent.
We've brought some additional web servers online. Let us know if any problems are caused by us having brought some additional web servers on line, because we did that.
June 22, 2012
- A flaming fortress made of molten bricks has sprung forth in the Nearby Plains. Everything is probably totally fine.
June 27, 2012
- FDKOL scientists have figured out a way to make those molten bricks into other stuff. They're keeping it secret, though. Those jerks.
June 28, 2012
- Lord Flameface has come home to roost.
- The backbreaking labor of fighting these fires has prompted a Kingdom-wide realization that Adventurers have backs.
Many items are being migrated to this equipment slot. There might be some turbulence. Or some complaining.
June 29, 2012
- Things being what they are (and what they are being crazy) July's Item-of-the-Month will be a couple of days late.
June 30, 2012
- Season 2 of PvP has begun. Break your stone and head on down to Huggler Memorial Colosseum to see what's cooking. (HINT: It is violence.)
July 02, 2012
- The fire in the plains has burned out, and the plains themselves have returned to approximately the same configuration as before.
Also, July's Item-of-the-Month, the Camp Scout backpack, is now available in Mr. Store. Purchase is compulsory. (That's a joke.)
July 03, 2012
- All of the compact versions of PvP minigame outcomes should now provide the same information as the long versions.
July 04, 2012
- The Summoning Chamber has been recalibrated to accept both pre and post-fire demon names. They will also be reflected in your quest journal once used. Yeti and Pen Pal names did not survive.
July 05, 2012
- Two new long-requested chefstaves have been added. Go see Rodoric (get it? Rod-o-ric?) immediately.
- The lost key is slightly less lost.
- Hot dog! Hot eggs.
July 09, 2012
- You no longer have to be sober to de-prism the King. Just be careful. That prism is sharp, and he's not as young as he once was.
July 12, 2012
- Elemental resistance items and effects now have a number telling you how many levels they give. Character sheet display, too.
July 16, 2012
- Back items now work with custom outfits, Yay! The also will now display and respect their stat requirements, Boo!
- The Cape of the Goblin King turned out to be too much of a choking hazard, so it was changed to a codpiece.
July 24, 2012
- Mt. McLargeHuge eXtreme HD edition is now available. If you finished the quest previously, you'll be reset to the point where you fight the new boss that's there now. If you had it in progress, you've been started over in the new version.
July 26, 2012
- Friend of the Kingdom MC Frontalot has a compilation in the new Humble Music Bundle!
You should consider checking it out.
July 27, 2012
- Cursed Microwaves and Pony Kegs are now free pulls from Hangk's.
- Hojo Hominygrits is the greatest! (By which I mean puppet strings are also now a free pull.)
July 30, 2012
- KoL Con #9 tickets and KoL Comic issue #2s (and PDFs, finally) are now available in the Store of Loathing. Get 'em while they're hot!
August 01, 2012
- Surprise! August's Item-of-the-Month is a little late. It will be released at rollover on Thursday night. Jick is sorry.
- The drop rate on the dwarf foreman's items has been increased. Probably not as much as you'd like.
- The mysticality requirement on eXtreme mittens is no longer quite so eXtreme.
August 02, 2012
August 06, 2012
August 07, 2012
- General Store, miffed about what he now refers to as the "Hatorade Betrayal", has cornered the dingy planks market.
August 13, 2012
- Because I can no longer remember why it wasn't always like this, item descriptions for booze now show how potent the booze is.
August 14, 2012
- Any ascension on which you drop any path will henceforth be ineligible for all ascension leaderboards.
- This season's Challenge Path, Zombie Slayer, is now available at your local Reincarnation Bureau.
August 15, 2012
- A few new options have been added for Mall store shopkeepers.
August 17, 2012
- Deleveling opponents should no longer make them drop crappier brains.
- Some back-end changes have been made regarding removal of effects: http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showthread.php?t=195401
August 24, 2012
- Zombie Slayers should now properly get the Muscle class 50% HP bonus.
August 27, 2012
- 12 days from now, Mall store logs should start going back 2 weeks instead of 2 days. In the interim, the interim. Respectively.
August 31, 2012
September 05, 2012
- Combat tweak! Normal attacks can no longer miss. Misses have been replaced with more informative glancing blows.
Details are available in this forum post.
September 18, 2012
- A new item has been added (permanently) to Mr. Store. Monster Manuel, who will help you gather interesting facts and boring statistics about the monsters you encounter.
September 19, 2012
- Our buddies at Evertide Games just launched a Kickstarter for their Kingdom of Loathing licensed card game!
It rules and it is fun and you should check it out here!
September 26, 2012
- Added a couple of character-pane-slimming toggles to the Interface section of the options menu. Get in shape, girl!
September 30, 2012
- October's Item-of-the-Month will be available at rollover on the 1st, one day later than usual.
October 01, 2012
October 05, 2012
- If you're not in Ronin or Hardcore, you can now use each of your Tomes 3 times per day.
October 09, 2012
- The mall search form now has a "Mr. Store" category.
- Meat Maids have gotten off of your lawns, and into your cars. I mean your dwelling inspection links. This is only cosmetic.
October 12, 2012
- I believe we have exterminated the elusive "auxiliary backbone doesn't give its extra fights properly... sometimes..." bug.
October 15, 2012
- Once-in-a-lifetime monsters should now always grant factoids to Monster Manuel. (If we didn't screw something up, of course.)
October 22, 2012
- Jick was a guest on the latest episode of the Overthinking It podcast! Check it out here: http://bit.ly/Rg5h1r.
October 24, 2012
- Strange things are afoot.
October 29, 2012
- Glancing blows with clubs will no longer ruin mother hellseal bits, and adorable seal larvae will no longer attack their own kind.
October 31, 2012
November 02, 2012
- The nanorhino's character pane nano-icon now becomes nano-animated when he is fully nano-charged. Nano.
November 14, 2012
- The Winter 2012 Challenge Path, Class Act, is now available in the place where challenge paths are.
The level 9 Council quest has also been replaced with something totally unlike the original level 9 Council quest.
- A thing that used to only happen half the time now happens all the time. In a place. You know what I'm talking about.
November 15, 2012
- Those of you still messing with the mime soul forge can now create multiple items in a single visit.
November 16, 2012
November 19, 2012
- The 2013 KoL Calendar and a couple types of Crimbo cards are now available in the Store of Loathing!
- The oil pan should now work from inventory, and the Smile of Mr. A. should no longer charge 1MP for no reason.
November 20, 2012
November 30, 2012
- December's Item-of-the-Month in Mr. Store, Advent Calendars in the campground, and strange things afoot!
December 11, 2012
December 15, 2012
- Crimbo Town has once again emerged from the misty mists of the mountains. Kawaii!
December 17, 2012
- Back slot items can now be Pulverized.
- Do Not Open 'Til Crimbo boxes are now available in The Gift Shop for your Crimbo gifting needs.
December 26, 2012
- Taco Dan's Taco Stand has ceased its hithertofore-seemingly-ceaseless advertising campaign.
- Clan basements now have a whiteboard in them where dungeon administrators can write messages to delvers.
December 31, 2012
- January's Item-of-the-Month, the snow suit, is now available in Mr. Store, along with the two new yearly familiars.
The Angry Jung Man is our most ambitious content familiar yet, and the Unconscious Collective is nothing to snore at, either!
PvP Season 5 also starts tonight, in case your New Year's resolution is to clobber your fellow players.
Also, stat requirements on zones are now recommendations, rather than requirements. Zones want to be free!
Also (sheesh) Crimbo Town has faded back into the mists for another year. But its spirit is still inside you. Waiting. Uncle Crimboku has temporarily relocated his trailer to Market Square, in case you'd like him to make some toys out of your leftover plastic ingots and electrical thingamabobs.
- The April 10, 2012, announcement references the movie Goldfinger, in which a henchman named Oddjob has a hat with a blade on the brim which cuts the head of a statue in one scene.
- The June 12, 2012, announcement references the famous line by Tattoo in the TV series Fantasy Island.
- The June 19, 2012, announcement about the "Warm bats" references a line in the movie Major League.
|History of Loathing||2003||2004||2005||2006||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021|