|Locations||The Castle in the Clouds in the Sky (Ground Floor)|
|Monster Parts||head, arm, leg, torso|
You are confronted by an enemy who seems to change size and shape constantly, flickering as you stare at him. You're not at all sure what he/it is. He's definitely a giant, though. No, he isn't. Yes, he is. Wait . . . Let's just say he might be.
He definitely maybe possibly kicks you right in the <ankle>. Ouch! Eek! Oof! Ugh! Ooh! Eek!
He kinda-sort of maybe hits you in the <ankle>. Ow! Oof! Ouch! Ow! Ooh! Ow!
He stomps on your head, leaving tabloid footprints in your hair. Oof! Oof! Ow! Ow! Eek!
He grabs your hands and whips you in a circle around his head. You try to hang on tighter (just to keep from being thrown to the wolves), but he throws you across the room anyway. Oof! Ugh! Ooh! Eek! Ugh!
He stops attacking and is joined by four other guys carrying instruments. "This is my back-up band," he says. "They're highly illogical." They proceed to play music so loud and atonal that your eardrums flee your body in terror. Ugh! Eek! Oof!
He might be rain, he might be heat, but he's definitely not succeeding in hitting you.
He might be frying up a stalk of wheat, but he's definitely not hitting you.
He tries to stomp on your head, but you hide before he leaves tabloid footprints in your hair.
He pounds you with a stalk of wheat. You feel out of ideas, like you is.
He stops attacking and is joined by four other guys carrying instruments. "This is my back-up band," he says. "They're highly illogical." You plug your ears as they play loud, atonal music for a while. (FUMBLE!)
|You gain 120-180 Meat (average: 150, stdev: 12.65)*|
|You acquire an item: chaos butterfly (20% chance)*|
|You acquire an item: plot hole (15% chance)*|
|You acquire an item: probability potion (25% chance)*|
|You gain 32.5 <substat>.|
- The Possibility Giant is a reference to the band They Might Be Giants. The combat messages also reference their song They Might Be Giants, which features the lyrics "They might be rain / They might be heat / They might be frying up a stalk of wheat", "Tabloid footprints in your hair", and "To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves". The "highly illogical" backup band in the critical hit & fumble messages refers to the lyric "They might be Doctor Spock's Backup Band", as well as one of Leonard Nimoy's musical hits, titled "Highly Illogical".
- The stalk of wheat miss message contains another reference to the band They Might Be Giants; their song Stalk Of Wheat features the lyrics "And I was out of ideas, like I is".
- The Possibility Giant's flickering spatial uncertainty could be a reference to a macroscopic Newtonian effect of the indeterminacy of the quantum scale domain -- an indeterminate number of possible sizes and shapes enjoy a quantum superposition of such coherence that not even the observational act of fighting him/it will collapse the quantum probability wavefunction into an actual size and shape.
- The fact that the Possibility Giant sometimes drops the "Heisenbergy" probability potion can only lend credence to the preceding hypothesis.
- The constantly shifting appearance of the giant is a nod to Willie the Giant, the giant from the Disney animated short Mickey and the Beanstalk, whose powers included shapeshifting.